Burrow Press considers submissions year-round for publication in Fantastic Floridas––our online literary journal of Florida, literature, books, culture and the uncategorizable.
Please submit your work to the correct category and read the category guidelines carefully before submitting.
If you're looking to submit to BP Review, we are no longer accepting submissions, as BP Review is merging with Fantastic Floridas by the end of 2016.
We are not currently accepting submissions for our print books.
We are particularly interested in work that avoids common stereotypes, cliches, and tropes associated with Florida. Don't discount the weirdness, just handle it artfully.
We are open to all kinds of genres of work, as long as there is a strong Florida connection. (Note: the Florida connection for fiction submissions can be subtle, minimal, loosely interpreted. In other words, take a chance!)
Use this submittable category to send us:
- Fiction (flash, short stories, any genre... Florida connection can be subtle/minimal)
- Creative nonfiction (narrative journalism, lyric essay, personal essay, travel writing, etc)
- Author interviews (there must be a strong Florida connection to the author or the work evident in the interview)
- Conversations (between two or more writers, concerning the role of Florida in literature, specific Florida books or writers, the influence of Florida on literature, etc)
- Something delightfully uncategorizable or experimental (if video or audio is involved, please send us an email pitch / description of the project instead)
- Visual Art / Photography (jpgs, up to 3 files, inspired by Florida, of course)
Please DO NOT send us:
- Poetry (we will open a separate category for it soon)
- Book reviews (unless you are using a book as a springboard for an essayistic meditation on Florida / Florida literature... see "creative nonfiction")
- Full length manuscripts
WORD COUNT: No minimum word count. Max word count for all submissions: 5,000. Query for longer work.
PLEASE submit one piece of writing at a time (or 3 photos/artworks), and wait to receive a response on that submission before submitting again. Response time: 1 - 2 months.
Where giant sandhill cranes block traffic. Where the Spanish moss dangles oddly from the gravity-defying branches of oak trees. Where would-be home invaders fall prey to camouflaged alligators. Yes, that’s right, it’s Florida. What a weird, wonderful, vexing place.
Send us your comics about living in Florida. Tell us where you’ve been, what you’ve seen, who you’ve met, and how you feel about all of it. Or, take us through time. What even is this state? Where did it come from? Does anyone know? Make a comic about your feelings. But not just any feelings, your feelings about Florida. Send us your stories, your reflections, your explorations about what it means to live in Florida.
Comics submissions should be primarily visual in nature (not illustrated prose). They can be short comic strips, or longer stories (up to 4 pages). Fiction and nonfiction is welcome. They can even be non-narrative abstract explorations of concepts or ideas. They can be weird. Everyone likes weird these days. They can also be things we’ve haven’t thought of here: the unimaginable.
(If you have created the unimaginable, please get in touch with us!)
Form: Completed comics or comics pitches. If you’re pitching something, please include a complete synopsis or completed thumbnails along with one page of sample art.
Format: Submit files as .jpg or .tif